Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Septemblog Post 1: I'm a writer

I write.

I just don't write regularly. I like to have a project. And now I kind-of-have-one.

I've been reading Hollie's Small Good Things blog daily and part way through the month of August I noticed all the posts had a hashtag of #Blaugust. A week ago, I wondered if I would do it next year. Then in her last August post, she said goodbye to Blaugust, and said hello to Septemblog. 

YES! I will do that.

Today was my third day at the Minnesota State Fair, which started last Thursday. I went on Friday which had a record attendance that day, and I went on Sunday. Today I finally got to try one of the new fair food options: strawberries and blueberry cream. It was delicious! I did have one of the strawberry mini donuts Liz got, which tasted like a mouthful of soft strawberry flavored sugar. And a couple of bites of the beignets she got, which were good.

In March I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and I attacked this disease with rigor and discipline. I use slow-acting insulin twice a day. I cut carbohydrates down and balanced what carbs I did eat with protein and vegetables. My snacks are walnuts and fruit. I eat almost no sugar. I added not exercise but activity to my life. I park at the back of the parking lot, I take stairs when I can, I take short walks in the neighborhood. And sometimes I take longer walks.

Being at the fair means longer walks. A lot longer. I forgot to wear my watch today, but the last two times, my watch says I got 90+ minutes of exercise each of those days. It also means I can stray a little from the discipline I've had. We got home about an hour ago and I checked my blood sugar. Despite having more sugar in a day than I've had in a long time, my blood sugar just as I'm writing this, is 87. A healthy range is 70-180.

One thing I've learned is how much activity can impact my blood sugar. On days when I'm very active, my blood sugar stays on the low end of the healthy scale. When I'm not, it's 20-30 points higher, which is still in the healthy range.

When I was diagnosed, my A1C was 11. It is now 6.1, which is still barely officially diabetes (it should be below 5.7), but no longer is associated with all the negative health impacts of diabetes.

I made all these changes in my life because I want to live longer. My bucket list isn't finished yet.

Here's a breakfast or anytime recipe that feels like cheating but isn't.

Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie

Ingredients

2 heaping tbsp plain peanut butter

1 tbsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder

1 chocolate protein drink*

Optional:

2 tbsp hemp hearts

A couple of quick squirts of stevia or other 0 carb sugar alternative

Ice

Instructions

Place everything in the blender and blend on high for up to two minutes.

Enjoy

*I use fairlife chocolate protein drink with 30g of protein. I get it from Costco.


No comments: