In 2011, I saw a Ted Talk about a mushroom suit that was proposed to bury people in for a natural burial. Jae Rhim Lee talked about how mushrooms can remove toxins from our bodies and make the compost we become more pure. She talked about it being an environmental responsibility to the earth because of the harm we do when we cremate bodies or embalm bodies to pretend they are still like we remember them when they were alive.
I wanted to be buried in mushroom suit because I wanted all the toxins in my body to be removed, and for my body to become compost to nurture other life. I wanted this so much I put it in my will.
But I heard nothing about it in the last fifteen years.
Liz is an alum of Haverford College and gets their quarterly alumni magazine. On the cover is 1999 alum Katrina Spade. The article about her talks about her company, Recompose, which turns human bodies into compost. That sounds horrible to some people, but to me, it feels like what I want my body to do when it fails permanently.
The idea of my body creating new life brings me such joy.
I could pre-pay to get services from Recompose, but I hope to be alive two or three decades more, and hope to see many businesses here that offer the same services. And I love imagining my body returning life to the world.
Maybe that makes me sick or weird. But it brings me joy.
If you want to know about more natural burials in Minnesota, check out Inspired Journeys, a woman-owned company. Ask for Angela. She's the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment